First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church, Brevard

325 N. Broad Street


   Sunday Worship Services: 8:30 - 9:00 - 10:55

               Christ’s People – Drawn Together in Love – Moving Out to Serve

The roots of Methodism in Transylvania County go back to 1818 when Methodists met once each month on “Methodist Sunday” at old Davidson River Presbyterian Church, called “The Meeting House,” in Pisgah Forest.

Prior to the Civil War, the center of Methodist activity in the Brevard area was an annual two-week Camp Meeting held in an oak grove in the vicinity of where Deerlake Village now stands. Meetings took place under brush arbors and, later, in tents. It is believed that the Oak Grove Church was organized by a group of faithful Methodists prior to 1840.

First United Methodist Church, Brevard was founded July 17, 1873, with the deeding of the site of the North Gaston Street church to Mr. B.C. Lankford and Trustees of Brevard Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The large one-room wooden building on North Gaston Street was dedicated May 1, 1878, with the first pastor, Rev. Samuel S. Grant, officiating. At that time the Brevard church was part of the Holston Conference, but became part of the Western North Carolina Conference in 1889.

In 1904, the wooden building was moved back from the street and a new, enlarged brick structure, enclosing the cold building was completed. The Sylvan Valley News (later The Transylvania Times) sponsored a church painting contest and the new church was voted the “Most Attractive Church Edifice in Transylvania County.”

In 1953 the Brevard College Trustees generously offered a three and one-half acre tract of land as the site for a proposed new church building. The first worship serve and Sunday School held in the new Brevard Methodist Church on North Broad Street was held January 5, 1958. Installation began immediately on the new Schantz organ and the first recital was February 11, 1958.

The property on North Gaston Street was used by Brevard-Davidson River Presbyterian Church and sold to Transylvania Community Center, Inc. on May 24, 1963. In 1968 the United Methodist Church was formed by the union of The Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren Church. The building was destroyed by fire November 17, 1971.

The addition of a fellowship hall, kitchen and classrooms was completed in 1969. First United Methodist Church currently has a membership of over 850, sponsors a Weekday Children’s Program as well as Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops. Many groups in the community gather at the church for special events or weekly meetings. Our doors are open to all.


                           First United Methodist Church in Brevard, NC
                                   Photo of Painting by Allen Lamar








Share this